Third-Year Undergraduate Scholarship
Guidelines & Eligibility
The Recycling Education and Research Foundation (RERF) is a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit organization associated with the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI). The Foundation’s core mission is to sponsor projects that promote public awareness, education, research, and the advancement of recycling.
The RERF Third-Year Undergraduate Scholarship award is $2,500 and is available to ISRI member company employees and their dependents. Applicants must be entering their third year of studies. The award will be paid directly to the educational institution, not the recipient.
This scholarship is based on merit and not financial need.
- All application materials must be submitted to RERF no later than April 1, 2023.
- Applicants will be notified in the last week of May 2023.
- The Scholarship award will be paid to the school, not the student. The recipient is responsible for notifying RERF’s Executive Director of any changes to their plans no later than June 30, 2023.
- The selection of the 2023 scholarship recipient shall be made by the RERF Programming Committee.
- To ensure the applicant’s safety and privacy of their personal information, application information will not be disclosed or sold.
- Application materials will not be returned; please keep a copy for your records.
- The applicant must be an employee of a current ISRI member company or a dependent of an employee of a current ISRI member company at the time of application and dispersal of funds.
- Must be employed for a minimum of one year at the ISRI member company.
- ISRI membership must be active when the scholarship is paid to the educational institute.
- Applicants are responsible for notifying RERF if there are any employment changes.
- Owners/principals and dependents of owners/principals of ISRI member companies are NOT eligible for this scholarship.
- Applicants must be entering their third year of studies at an accredited four-year post-secondary institution.
- A GPA of 2.5 or greater, supported by official college transcripts. Non-official transcripts or academic records will not be accepted.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the following items to RERF by the application deadline. All hardcopy mail submissions must be postmarked by April 1, 2023.
- Completed RERF Third-Year Undergraduate Scholarship Application Form, signed and dated.
- Completed RERF Scholarship Release Agreement Form, signed and dated.
- A copy of official college transcripts.
- personal resume.
- Two letters of recommendation* describing the personal or professional connection to the candidate without reference to financial need.
- Three narratives to the following essay questions. Please limit each response to one page typed.
- Describe your course of study and what influenced you to pursue that. Was there something that you were expecting to learn that was not included in the program? What did they miss?
- What relevant event has changed your thinking about the recycling industry?
- For your third essay, please select one of the following topics:
- ISRI members are “for profit” organizations that provide environmentally positive results. What skill set do you hope to gain that could benefit the recycling industry?
- Imagine you have been invited to work for the summer in any division of the ISRI member recycling company where your parent works. What area of the company would you choose to work at and why?
*Letters or recommendations must be on letterhead, signed, and dated within the last 12 months. Must be submitted by the author of the letter, not by the applicant. Mail and email submissions are acceptable. All letters must be received by the application deadline of April 1, 2023.
DEADLINE & SUBMISSION
All application materials must be postmarked by April 1, 2023.
Email and mail submissions will be accepted. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Recycling Education & Research Foundation
attention: Emma Corning
PO Box 259274 Madison, WI 53725
Questions? Please get in touch with RERF’s Executive Director, Emma Corning, at Ecorning@rerfoundation.org or by phone at (833) 363-7373.